Monday, June 13, 2016

Orlando


I'm a bad person. This morning when I checked my device and I saw the multiple CNN breaking news icons. I knew something Very Bad had happened. I saw that twenty people had been shot in the early hours of the morning at a club in Florida and I said "Man, that is so sad." which is what I say every time many people are killed all at one time. I say that because if we can kill twenty five year old's and NOTHING happens to our gun laws as a result, NOTHING will ever happen to our gun laws. There is no reason to become even more angry. Human life has no worth in our society once that life has drawn breath.

And then later on, I saw a comment on Facebook that the number of dead at the club was now fifty, and I said to myself Oh, don't make it worse! Twenty is bad enough, stop being a dick! And as it turns out, fifty was the correct number of dead at present.

The Priest didn't say a word at Mass about it. Not one word. A lot of words about Mathew, Mark, John and  the love and service of St. Joseph. Not a word how a few hours ago there was a  mass murder of young people. No words about grief or anger or sadness or numbness at the state of things. No words about God and His healing and His love. He talked instead about a wedding he said in Wilmington on Saturday and how lovely the bride was and how he remembered walking with her at a Anti-Abortion march when she was a child.

The fifty-three (edited to add) dead children on Orlando didn't get a mention.

Looking at the surnames of the dead, many of them were Hispanic and many of those were probably good Catholics, they rated at least a mention in passing. The names as of 9:47pm, 6/12/16, an updated list can be found here

Edward Sotomayor Jr., 34 years old
Stanley Almodovar III, 23 years old
Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, 20 years old
Juan Ramon Guerrero, 22 years old
Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, 36 years old
Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, 22 years old
Luis S. Vielma, 22 years old
Kimberly Morris, 37 years old


And fuck Donald Trump sideways with a chainsaw.

No comments: