Thursday, September 21, 2017

Postal


As it turns out, there was a reason I left my package at home and didn't make it to the post office at lunch like I had wanted to - I couldn't have done the post office yesterday and gotten my cat food and eaten lunch as planned. As it turns out, over the lunch hour the post office is even less staffed then it is during regular business hours and there would have been no way to ne as efficient as I had hoped.

I arrived today before high noon - a good thing, but there were already two women in line ahead of me. There was one (1) window open. The clerk at the window was carrying on a long, involved NON-POSTAL business related conversation with the woman at the window. And it went on and on and on and finally, after what seemed like hours - it was hard to tell because there are no clocks in the post office - they decided to talk later - presumably at her window, with a big line behind her and she moved on to the next in line.

Good Lord.

This lady wanted to change her address  - which is one set of forms that had to be dug up for her to fill out, but no, she didn't want these forms  because  but not really, she no longer lived at the address but she wanted her mail to still go there - because her sister still lived at the address and it was alright with her to get the families mail, but the lady didn't like the mail facilities at the apartment, so maybe she didn't want her mail there, there was an issue with the badly maintained boxes -Now were they maintained by the apartments or the Post Office? Well blah, blah, blah... maybe she wanted general delivery that goes to the post office? So that was yet another stack of forms because everyone's addresses needed to be changed, but well, what about getting a PO box?

More forms. And then all the while complaining about the service she received at some other post office that had most likely asked the specifics about what exactly she wanted instead of letting her shop for post office offerings like she was a buffet.

There were by this time, a lot of people in line!

I had one thing to mail. My old post office had a mailing machine a scale and card scanner with a box in it in the lobby. It weighed things for you and gave you a sticker for it. You dumped it in the box and you were gone. So nice. I think it could also sell you stamps.

I all but through my package at her and was out the door. I did get my lunch but just. Not really efficient.

No comments: