Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Trying to think ahead.


And so apparently, I should be doing something. I should be taking care of the large blue tarp that's taking up space on the floor of my basement, I need to at least not have it on the very likely soon to be wet floor. I need to fold it up and put it somewhere I can grab it and use it for whatever I bought it for originally. Also is a bitch to deal with when it is wet. Been there, done that, should have learned that lesson already.

I should get whatever I want out of the basement now while I can do it at my leisure, while I have time to think about it and I don't have to wade to rescue things. I don't have much down there anymore of much value , so is not a long list. I can't move my water heater or the washer and dryer to higher ground. I can unplug the freezer, maybe put some weights in it to keep it stationary - but maybe if it floats it will stay more out of the water? Tool chest needs to move upstairs!

I grabbed the nice cooler and took it outside to be cleaned out because, WOW it needs to be cleaned out, I put the tarp on top of the freezer and the folded up wooden clothes hanger on top of it, I moved the tiny wet dry vac to a high spot. The tool chest is safe upstairs in the livingroom.

Speaking of  the upstairs, Maybe I should also start thinking about the upstairs? Can I move my couch up to the top of the "coffee tables" will they hold the weight? should I move the chaise to the diningroom table? What of the books? I need to remind myself I have photo albums that would need to be moved upstairs.

I don't think I'm going to need to go to those extremes but I think its important to have a plan in mind, now that I am dry and there is no clock running.  What of the TV? The art? My clothes? Those people in Houston didn't live in areas that flooded either.

It is not helping my frame of mind that it is raining. I have bad rain memories attached to rain, I keep going to the basement to check it. I keep looking at the water heater to see how it is. It is fine. This is not it, it is not for a while yet, but I want to be  r e a d y or at least as close to not thoroughly  unprepared as I can get. You are never prepared for these.

Its important to be three steps ahead, to be able to think clearly and quickly when your feet are wet, this is not a time to be making choices, your choices need to already have been made. I need to get batteries, I need to get candles - even though I do not remember my last long period of no power as being a time when candles were useful to me. Flashlights would be more useful if they glowed in the dark.

No comments: