Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Sing Along


And so I spent the weekend doing nothing, well not nothing, noting. I did go to Sing Along With Grease and I dutifully Sang Along with the crowd, I was actually shocked that the guy next to me also sang along in full voice along with every word, up to and including ever word of Sandy's'. That was a man totally in touch with his feminine side.

 I could understand a guy knowing every word Go Greased Lighting and singing along with the T-Birds, but also singing along with  Rizzos stirring I'm a thirty-four year old high school girl and I'm no tease! number, but  also every word of  every one of Sandy's?, that is hardcore fandom.

Most of the women in the audience giggled through her numbers.  We all knew every damn word, but we were giggling. I bet now not one of us could remember what we learned in our college biology classes, but all of us could ramble off the entire Grease song book from heart and most of the movie script if you gave hints.

The script was dirtier than I remember from watching it as a child, but most of it would have gone directly over my head. I do remember that Rizzo thought she was pregnant and that she got that way by Keniki and probably in his car that time . But it also seemed she discovered she was late really soon after that, too soon. The time frame was weird.

And also, where were they? They were by the beach and their were palm trees on campus but Sandy sings about it getting "colder" at the end of the summer? In California? There was no winter in the movie, no fall holidays, they skip from football season to graduation.

Biggest laugh? Right at the beginning, the pink ladies are entering campus for their first day of senior year and one tells the other the "Not to be such and adolescent!" the other reply's "But we are adolescents!"  The audience got quite the chuckle.

If the "girls" all looked really old to me now, the "boys" were even worse. None of them passed for anything under thirty-five . And it wasn't just the primary cast, the entire school was made up of thirty year old freshmen. I guess as a child I really did not know how hold teenagers looked. If I thought any of the T-Birds or Pink Ladies were high school kids I was in for a surprise. They had to cast Joan Blondell and Sid Ceaser just to have someone on the set who looked old than then the lets face it, geriatric T-Birds.

No comments: