Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Too Hot


It is very hot. It is so hot it precludes me spending any time just sitting in my car at lunch. I had to change my plans. Normally, I bring my lunch to work and I relax in a lovely, shady green part of campus with my lunch and the paper. Its really very nice. Its really very nice when it is not as hot as it is today, no amount of shade makes this weather less hot. Today is not a car day. I had to change my plans and I did.

Initially, I was going to pick up some meds at Sam's and maybe have lunch there, however, lunch time is very busy at the old Sam's Club "cafe", even though they have generously provided more tables, it is a crap shoot, and I may or may not be able to find seating. Sam's Club cafe does not really do take out, they are not set up for it. They do provide a few strips of aluminum foil to lay over your plate but its hardy a sufficient take out solution, its messy and the pizza can escape. Its best if your "to-go" is not too far or too long.  I am not a fan of this option under the best of circumstances, but its  it is not that big a deal, if its not oppressively hot outside, I can just take my pizza slice to go, but today, it is, and so that option is off the table. Pun intended. I am not eating in my car today.

New plan.

I go to McDonald's where there is absolutely enough tables even at high noon and there is air-conditioning. A must. Because my office is stifling, the a/c is on, but not in my hallway.The copy room at the end of the hallway however is an icebox, because of course it is. An enormous, completely uninhabited room is fully air-conditioned, bordering on the chilly, while our tiny, inhabited  cells  are sweltering nightmares.

My light is off, my shade is down and  am sitting here sweating. Inside. I have a napkin in front of me so I don' t stick to my desk as I type, the napkin isn't wide enough so my forearms keep sticking to the laminate. No, I can not move my keyboard because this is where it is the easiest for me to work with it, anywhere else and it falls between spaces on my bifocals. Where it is now it perfect - except when my forearms stick to the desk.  Its too hot even sitting at my desk.

No comments: