Thursday, July 24, 2003

Designing nonSence


If this is even more stream of conscience that normal, I’m inhaling paint fumes.

I’m on a break from (insert chorus of Angels) painting walls It makes me happy. The last time I was being all Happy Painter Girl, the results were more Jackson Pollock then Martha Stewart. I had a great time, but it was a sloppy job. You really do not need swaths of bright blue paint on your white ceiling, your hard wood floors, your bathroom tile, the bedroom carpet, your cat…

I wasn’t going to paint my office room. I mean I was going to paint it, I just wasn’t going to paint itnow, but I stumbled upon perfect curtains at a Goodwill on vacation and it moved the painting up a bit because those curtains are not coming into this room. Not that they wouldn’t go, but because they would. They have some of the same tan - ish color in them and they would look nice. But I would never repaint the room.

When I bought this house I promised myself that I would never live with rental tan again. It was everywhere. A tan virus. It took many coats of virus fighting yellow and blue paint to kill it. Now, it was in the office. It’s not even tan its pinky tan. It is ugly beyond words and now at least most of it is a very lovely mint - ish green. Most of it being what walls are not blocked by heavy furniture that I can’t move alone. So unfortonatly the wall I look at is still Pinky-Tan while the walls I can’t see are all minty fresh.

I wasn’t planning to have any tan in my world at all, but the new curtains have some, actually, a lot and the bright white of my painted World fantasy isn’t going to look good with the drapes.

Who’s Room is it? Is it Mine or is it the Drapes?

I think that bright glossy white is ideal. I have it in the hallway and it looks fantastic. I want it in the living room and dining room also, but I’d that it would not go well with my furniture that went well with the rental baishe. It may make my furniture look less then it’s best. So.

The office has no such prohibitive furniture problems. My desk is white, white would look great with the paint, I like bright white. I think it would look really sharp. It would lend coolness to the room. It is the look I have been wanting in here. I wanted a garden room kind of look.

The curtains are not the filmy bright white curtains that I thought I wanted. They are however, much, much nicer then I would have been able to afford. They’re lined and everything. They have the same mechanism that the curtains the house came with. They have green! They have a leafy design! They’re lined! They are tan.

So. Here I am sniffing paint fumes and wondering if I should go with what I prefer or what the curtains would prefer. Does it matter? What if I put the tan and bright white? Would that be too much or would it, as I think, add depth and interest to the windows?

There is the blinds issue. I like them, they go well with the period of the house, they block the hated sun and I like them. The current ones are ancient, broken and ugly. I could get bright white blinds and full fill my bright white fetish or I could lose the blinds and rehang the white sheers - that I cannot find, that the house came with.

So who gets to make the call? the design elements or the designer?




No comments: