Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hooking Up

After my success with screaming for help to get my DVD/VCR hooked up, I went with a great deal of confidence to replace my demented back up VCR with the newer and nicer and mentally healthy VCR that after the advent of the DVD/VCR was looking for a new job.

This time it only took me two tries to get everything operational. I didn’t need to ask for help, although a second pair of hands would have been nice – have you ever tried juggling a VCR, Satellite box and a 13 inch TV? While I was hooking the blessedly few cables and wires up I discovered that the reason that there was what appeared to be a nest of cables behind the TV in the office was because it was a nest of cables behind the TV.

Once upon a time I put an extension cord in for something, possibly a Christmas tree, who knows, but then time passed and I put in another extension cord and in the fullness of time they produced three baby extension cords. They weren’t even hooked to anything; I guess they are still immature. I was a little concerned though; they did seem to more twist up than they should have been. I might have gotten there just in time, if the off spring bred… I decided not to think about it. They were just piled up, creating there own little fire hazard.

Every time I turn around I need another extension cord so I trot off to the dollar store and pick up another extension cord and then when I’m through, from what I can tell, I put it behind the TV in the office where all the extension cords live in apparent happiness in some sort of extension cord commune.

There were at least five separate extension cords hanging around! There are three items that need to be plugged in. There are two available plugs, which means that one of the items gets its own plug and one of the plugs is home to (1) ONE extension cord. ONE. Three things three available places to plug them in. It should be very easy math.

You would think.

Four extension cords, three different colors only one actually in service. I don’t know what the others were doing there, dancing attendance to the working cord I would assume, but what does an extension cord need assistance doing? It doesn’t need to go down the hall, they don’t God willing, smoke and I would think like all living things, they have cell phones so it isn’t like they are having to leave the floor to check their messages. And who calls extension cords anyway? It’s not like they are looking for other gigs – they get plugged in and their done, they don’t need another job. Powering the TV or VCR or whatever isn’t really a temp job. It’s life time employment.

Whatever.

I kind of entertained the thought that maybe it was Dogger collecting the cords but I don’t know what she would really need to plug in and if she wanted to use them to help her escape, there really isn’t much of a drop from the window to the ground and even if she wanted to do that, she’s too big to fit through the window. No length of cord is going to change that. So I don’t know.

I do know that I will never have to buy extension cords again and if I do have some sort of need for cords, I now know under what circumstances successful breeding programs can be undertaking, like the giant panda, they will breed in captivity.

No comments: