Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Old Times

I spent so much time living in the past last weekend that I did something I haven't done since college - I fell asleep in front of the television! I fell asleep on the carpet like an undergrad during finals week! I was so ashamed. I had to rouse myself so that I could fall asleep like a college graduate, in my chair with my hand wrapped around the remote. But before I crashed and burned, I went shopping - right after work when I was really hungry and suffering the after effects of a frankly, unfulfilling lunch so when given the opportunity, I headed straight to where the food lives, in search of fulfillment.

Yay, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of cake mix, I fear no frozen pizza.

Fortunately, it was also very hot and nothing does more to turn me off of cooking like the threat of turning on any oven, toaster, microwave anything that is going to bring more heat into my life. I was very strong. I knew what I wanted and where I had found it the last time I bought it. The store helped me out by resisting their weekly urge to shake the store lay out like a beach blanket because they noticed customers whipping through the store efficiently finding things and going on with their lives. It's better for them if we have to hunt for our food, if we knew from visit to visit where they keep the peanut butter we might never go down the pancake syrup aisle! If you don't go down the pancake syrup aisle, it won't occur to you that you haven't made pancakes in a while and you won't buy pancake syrup or pancake fixings and that boys and girls is what makes the Baby Jesus cry.

Anyway. I was in the store trying like hell to escape their evil syrupy clutches and I was still hungry. I had successfully found the tea I was in the store for in the first place and it occurred to me that I could not eat tea for dinner, so I went for my favorite dinner - and picked up five of them. I really don't mind eating the same thing every night. It's not a big deal, and in this case it's a very healthy meal. I'm on the Salmon and broccoli diet. I may not lose weight but I will be able to give blood, damn it.

Anyway. I was about to leave when I remembered that I like carrots, so I went to where the carrots live and I picked up a bag of "baby" carrots. I would just buy normal sized carrots but nobody gives people grief for buying the all-ready-potato-chipped potatoes, so I don't want to hear about buying unchopped up carrots.

And there I found the $2 a pint RASPBERRIES!!!! and the sky opened and the Angels trilled and it was a beautiful moment.

Today I had a change of pace, I had raspberries for dinner.

No comments: