Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Promises, Promises

I promised myself as I was making my bed this morning that I would come home right after work and get right back in it. I told myself that I would come home after work, toss the dog outside and then go back to bed. I meant it too. home, dog into the yard, bed.

I was lying. It’s the kind of thing I tell myself in order to get myself up and out in the morning. The only promises more self serving than what you tell yourself to get yourself out of bed are what other people will tell you to get you into bed.

I love you

You can take a nap at lunch in the car

I’ll respect you

It’s actually 20 minutes earlier then the clock says

We’ll just cuddle

I’ll just sit here on the couch with my eyes closed for a second

I got up anyway. I still had my plan though. Work all day, sleep all night. It’s a nice thought, but it’s not going to happen. Dogger can’t stay in the yard indefinitely and both animals have to be pilled. I’m not sure what happens if they don’t get their pred on schedule but I think it’s a bad thing. Dogger might not mind too much but The Kitty is a junkie. He’s a major pain when he’s just hungry, I would hate to see him jonesing.

I want to avoid that scene. So I don’t go right to bed. Dogger and I go for a walk and wind up at the baseball field, where we were just going to hang around a little, but I found a really nice throwing stick and so we hung out there until almost dark. Dogger isn’t much for fetching but she will run in the direction the stick is thrown for days. It was nice. The dog park is great and we like there a lot but a little togetherness time is a good thing too. So, still not back in bed.

I thought once the holiday were over that I would stop going out at night. No more evening jaunts to retail hell... It was going to be just me, the animals and my TV, it was not going to include trips out into the world, once I was in for the night I was in for the night. Well, at least now I’m going out to buy things for myself. And where did I go?? To the sexy, sexy drug store. To buy hair dye. I party hard. I also am temporarily between Sex and The City DVDs.

Dogger would have gone with me but she snuck upstairs and ate The Kitty’s food. Dogger isn’t supposed to eat other food. She’s supposed to be on a trial of “limited protean” food to see if she’s allergic, it isn’t going to work if she gets unapproved snacks. And it pisses off The Kitty. And then Dogger ate a couple of ounces of dark chocolate. Fear not, at 97.6 pounds, she’ll be fine. So sayth the emergency vet I called. But, Gawd! Ya know? Now I’m not in bed because I’m watching her on her bed, sleeping.

No comments: