Thursday, November 13, 2008

The people I work with

A co-worker chose to not give to State Employee combined campaign  this year because  days ago we got an email from one of the campaign boosters lauding other sections for their high participation rates and dollar amounts raised while pointing out that the Raleigh offices with so many more people had less participation and raised less cash. This offended the co-worker. She also noted that she wasn't going to participate anyway because she "looked through the book and didn't see any she thought were good". The book is 95 pages long and includes 1140 different charities.

It is to weep. So I could think about other things I went for a walk.

Ahhh. Much better. Did I mention that one of our workmates is under going chemo for breast cancer? and that in our 95 page book, among the 1140 charities was at least one benefiting  breast cancer research? Over a thousand possible choices and she didn't think any of them were "good".  In years past I have read every word and really put thought into who was going to get my yearly donation and whether to  keep my donation local or go for a national charity. I have been giving local for the last several years. This year I went for a national charity, but one that I hope will aid my local friend.  It was quick, it was easy and I didn't need to do a lot extraneous research into it's history and goals and where my money is going. I know where my money is going - right across the hall.

Sigh.  Pretty, but not much different than what I saw the other day,  right up until I saw a little tree with this really large branch.

It wasn't a branch and this picture isn't nearly as good as I had hoped it would be, seeing how close to it I was and how easy a shot it was, obviously I do not do well with wildlife and should stick with trees.  I hung out with Mr./Ms. Hawk for a bit until he/she saw something to eat and took off. I kept walking but there wasn't anything else that was different from the other day. I still took pictures,  I just played with the images more later. I have to keep myself occupied somehow, I can't shop all the time.
Later on, I came home and found out that the Drug Dealers old house next door is at last on the market. Broskey and Alphagal did some research and found out that the house last sold for $37,000 in June. Today, it's on the market for $225,000. 

No comments: