Thursday, March 18, 2010

Garden 2010 Update 2

Day four has seen some progress! We have sprouts.


I don't know what that feathery growth is but I saw it on other sprouts as well. I don't know if its some sort of fungus or if its a normal part of seed development. I'm going for the idea that its like a tiny plant sweater or maybe I have actually planted baby birds - which would be an easy mistake to make, I guess and if it was a mistake it took place at the factory. I would also welcome chicks, if that is the ultimate outcome. Baby birds are at least as pretty and more useful than flowers.

 I would love to be able identify the above plants or baby birds, as the case may be but I can not. I do know they are all flowers - which ones, I can only guess. It would have been nice if I had IDed them at the time of planting but I didn't. I figured that eventually they would look different enough to tell them apart. Some will be tall some will be short and one will be vining. They aren't going to be mistaken for each other.

 How could you not know the difference between a pink poppy and a vine with red flowers? I mean come on. The  top picture is I think, of the vining plant, the second is one of the poppie varieties the third is maybe a white flower that looks like a Queen Annes Lace but isn't. I know the poppies because they have tiny little seeds and the other flowers had larger seeds.

The beans and the luffas are showing no signs of signs. Nothing. In the spirit of experimentation, I moved that tray from its space in the nursery to a more direct sunlight location in another room. These seeds both suggested direct planting, so maybe they would benefit from more sunlight and warmth from the window.

Oh, and then there are the plants that are all ready in the ground.



They are doing okay but I've decided that I'm going to let the farmers market fill my broccoli needs in the future. The plants are just too high maintenance and don't produce enough volume to make them worth my gardening time.  I'm hoping that my green beans will be much more prolific and the reason that they haven't sprouted yet is because they are a larger more complex plant and they need more time to mature and a larger and hardy than the flowers that are small and weak and have much less of a shelf life and thus need to get started earlier and faster because their life span is shorter and they need a running start.

No comments: