Thursday, March 25, 2010

I am a bad garden Mommy.

Have you ever heard of broccaflowers? I have achieved broccoli flowers. Once you flower, you are officially done. I pulled off the other brocs thgat had formed and vowed to next time to do better.

However, from a strictly I Like Flowers because They are Pretty standpoint, my broc is now a very pretty little plant, one that I welcome.



Pretty, No? I have to say I was very disappointed in  myself  for letting it get to this point , but the plant will grow a new head at some point and frankly, I'm not as close to this plant as I was. To be honest, I really didn't bond with these plants the way I bonded with the plants last spring and summer. I think in a few weeks I'm going to pull these out anyway to properly get the garden dredged up for the 2010 planting.

Shock and amazement, my little garden has changed even in the last few days. My green beans are going at it like gangbusters and every day I have a new sprout working its way up to join its much taller brothers. I planted them at the same time and yet there are days of difference in the timing of their initial earth breaking. I had not thought about this.  I think this weekend I am going to repot quite a few of the green beans into larger homes. The luffas have not yet put in an appearance yet. Hmm.

My flowers are getting taller and slightly stronger every day as well. They haven't gotten to the point that they need to be re-potted yet but they will need to be thinned before too long and there is starting to be difference in the varieties of the plants. It's kind of neat. It would be even neater if I had identified them when I planted them or if the seed packages had better pictures of the plants' leaf structure.

No comments: