Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Letting the other guy DIY

I think I just planted the last plant of the season, actually the last two plants of the season. I also took my new-to-me rain barrel out for a spin after it filled  remarkably quickly after this weekends rains. I officially watered my two new plants thoroughly. Yay free water but if a little spring rain filled it that fast I don't know what I'm going to do during hurricane season. The barrel is going to need to bulk up.

Among my new plantings is a leetle baby pink swirl hibiscus. Honestly, I didn't know hibiscus plants came in baby sized. I've only ever seen them in a fully grown state, like an Irish wolfhound. How many puppy Irish wolfhounds have you ever seen?  None. They emerge fully grown from their fathers mouths. Prove they don't.


Very pretty. I think it will mesh well with my existing pink and white petunias. I don't have as good a luck with flowers as I have had with veggies but Alphagal laid hands on this and she is very good with flowers so I can be sure its going to end well, while I was outside with my plants I also got permission from my neighbors to raise my Experimental Garden on the side yard. They are looking forward to watching them grow.

Before I bonded with the plants I had a meeting with my upholstery man. I have an "upholstery man" now. he agreed the chaise is a diamond in the rough and that I got very lucky finding it. It s a very well made chair, in that it has good bones, but like everything else around here, it has to be gutted and rebuilt.  He is also going to add a foot to the over all length! Yippee! When this chair was new, say 40 years ago, we were shorter people.

I'm very excited! Its going to cost me roughly a new chair but its going to be essentially a custom chair built to my specs and I couldn't get that with my budget. I looked around at what was available and if I liked it I couldn't afford it, if I could afford it, I didn't like it.  With this chair not only can I afford it, I like it.

Onward to fabric decisions. Note to others, your upholstery man will suggest you purchase $25 a yard fabric and then tell you that the job requires 10 yards of same. It is in your best interest to have a Plan B in hand.

No comments: