Wednesday, April 28, 2010

To Do Today

I finally had a good exercise day, rode my bikes x2 walked the dog x3 and still I deadheaded a lot of petunias. I am totally ruthless when it comes to that, you have to be if you want a healthy plant with lots of blooms - even if you have to lop most of them off on a daily basis. I did it last year and my plants were gorgeous. While I was deadheading I noticed that something is chewing on my blooms! I don't mind  a short life and a natural death for these blossoms but it really galls me when they get murdered.

So far the little buggers are not eating my vegetables, but they haven't been in the ground long enough to tweak anyone's little antenna either, they will stop by sooner or later and I'll be waiting with something poisonous. Count on it. Let the guys with real acreage be all "organic" but they can afford to lose a quarter of their crop, I can't-  You can still be organic and favor the death penalty  and there are some very nasty pesticides out there that are quite effective and totally organic. I would like to point out that tobacco is lethal but completely natural. it's about definition. The natural world is full of venomous things - that inevitably  translate into expensive things in leetle  100% recycled bottles. The organic market is aimed at well  off hobby farmers who feel guilty about killing beasties so prefer to do it "naturally". A 100% linen pesticide if you will

I'm poor, I prefer to dump cheap polyester on what ails me - which thus far is limiting itself to the front yard and I'm not ready to go Dirty Harriet on whatever it is, I'm still enjoying my dirty finger nails and  my puttering too much to worry my pretty little head with such vulgarities.

I have a question, should I raise the  Experimental Garden planters? Right now they are flat on the grass and I'm not sure that this is the best idea. I think I should figure out a way to get them off the grass. I think this would be better for the planters and the grass in the long run.

No comments: