Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The more you know...

I was leaving my office after work and I came to one of the little pretend intersections - if they were real streets, if they had real signage, if there were real cops around to patrol them - and I saw my friend the fox again. I said "Hello fox!" and then I looked again and saw her baby, her kit. I tried to take the kit's picture but he was further away and all I had was my phone and it's not exactly well suited for wildlife photography. I parked in the intersection and watched them watch me. Finally baby fox headed out into the street and away from me and Mama fox went after him  because surely she didn't give him permission to play in the street and went off to take hime home.  I went home and learned about my new friends.

The Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) is a small canid native to much of North America and Eurasia, as well as northern Africa. It is the most recognizable species of fox and in many areas it is referred to simply as "the fox". It was introduced into Australia in the 19th century.[2] As its name suggests, its fur is predominantly reddish-brown, but there is a naturally occurring grey morph known as the “silver” fox; a strain of domesticated silver fox has been produced from these animals by systematic domestication.

The red fox is by far the most widespread and abundant species of fox, found in almost every single habitat in the Northern Hemisphere, from the coastal marshes of United States, to the alpine tundras of Tibetan Plateau. It is capable of co-existing with more specialized species of foxes, such as Arctic fox, in the same habitat. The red fox could withstand and sometimes thrive in areas with heavy human disturbance. It is nowhere near extinction, and its amazing adaptiveness is driving many other less competent species into extinction.

Wikipedia
a fox kit. not my photo.
I learned about them and so did you.

No comments: