Thursday, May 13, 2010

Not Ready for Prime Time Playas

If I hadn't messed around after I got home from work , Dogger and I might have gotten much more of a show than we did. As it was we saw Every Cop in Southeast Raleigh and crime tape and a Detective in a bad tan suit questioning a neighbor and I walked right passed the house before one of the cops even bothered to notice I was walking through their crime scene.! Well,  I think most of the crime took place either inside the house or in the driveway because that was where the cops were clumped together laughing and chatting and shooting the shit with each other as we approached. My tax dollars at work.

I spoke with a couple of neighbors once I saw the cop cars. The first group I spoke with was a group of guys hanging out on a porch about a block away. They said there had been an "accident" down the street. This sounded suspect to me, "accidents" usually don't come with that many cop cars and I could still only see some of them. I found another couple in bathrobes standing around on their yard and they came across with the stabbing news.

Me - What happened?
Bathrobe Lady - Some guy got stabbed.
Me - Shit.
BL - That's what I said!
Me - That's a lot of cars
Bathrobe Husband - There used to me more and an ambulance. They left.
Me- This is a nice neighborhood.
BL - It is. But the people in it aren't.
Me- They kept their yard so nice though.
BL - Yeah. The house looks great.

I went to our local news outlets and there was nothing about it. All those cops milling around and not a word. Well. I thought a stabbing might warrant a little more attention than that. ECiSER was standing around and no media attention? It looked pretty news worthy to me.The big news was a hit and run driver got arrested in Chapel Hill.  I was disappointed because I need to know if this was a domestic dispute or a crime of passion or if it was a more worrisome break in? And who got stabbed? was it the burglar or the home owner? It would be nice to know if I should be freaked out. I have my suspicions that it wasn't a burglary though, The cops always look a little more "cop-y" when theirs been a crime. I drove past a couple of hours later and all the cops were gone and the crime scene tape was taken down and the peoples cars were back in the drive way all ready.

If it was really bad and crimey  the cops would be there for hours and they would have the Mobile Crime Lab bus blocking the street and I wouldn't have been able to walk the dog past the house. Also? there would have been more looky lou's. A shooting always brings out a crowd, I guess a stabbing is less entertaining.

It had happened recently enough that I was around to hear the sirens and I went by there tops, twenty minutes after that and the cops were also not going door to door or checking through backyards or doing anything that smacked of police work so I gathered they already had their man or woman in custody. I better be able to read about it in the paper tomorrow. I'll feel all kinds of unloved if someone can be stabbed three blocks from my house and no one cares.

No comments: