Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rain drops on roses

It finally stopped raining and my rain barrel is weeping, earlier, while it was still raining it was vomiting so progress has been made but I think I need a rain barrel for my rain barrel. I think during hurricane season it may be over matched.

I guess if were really to rain hard for a long period as it is want to do during a hurricane, I might open the spigot at the bottom and let it run out. If was over matched by four inches of rain over a couple of days I think that twice that in a hours might prove its undoing. I will have to investigate this.

Speaking of the rain. I'm not sure I mentioned it : It rained for two days. It stopped. Since it was pouring for days I didn't have chance to do my daily flower deadheading. I do it twice a day because its addictive. Anyway, I was not able to do it and when  I finally was able to go outside to check the flowers I was appalled! they looked awful and it wasn't just because they had been rained on for hours. They were all half dead from being old! I never let a bloom get old. It starts to sag or get limp or gawd forbid , fade and it is out-of-there in a hurry.

They looked awful. A mass of limp, faded, wilted socks. They were  really pissed at me. I popped out there for a quick look see and I ended up spending forty-five minutes removing blooms and tying up  limp stems. Everywhere I went were more dead blooms! I felt like a bad plant person, I mean I walked Dogger in the driving rain and yet I was too precious to go out and tend to my other living things? Am I a specisist? If you don't have a heartbeat when the going gets rough you're on your own? A little rain gets in the way of providing care? No wonder my hydrangea spent last summer on strike!

Bad, bad Diana. On the upside the Experimental Garden looks good. The pepper looks a little taller than it was and the tomato absolutely looks better. I hope this is not their way of saying that what they would like me to water them even more than I do now - I already water them a lot and I don't want to hear that they need to be watered more. If I was really on the ball, I would use this heavy rain as a cue to go ahead and dig its new home while the soil is soft and wet and easy to till.

My excuse now is that the plant is completely sodden and too heavy for me to move and the soil is so wet that it might not come out of the pot neatly and it might cause it trauma so I'll wait until um, later. What is not traumatized? My raspberry plants! They gave me three ripe berries today! Nummy! and many, many more to come. Yay!

No comments: