Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hot in the city

I was going to ride my bike over lunch today as I have been doing? Because I'm so good like that? and I'm all about will power -  But today I walked outside at lunch and discovered that I was going to be a sweaty mess before I got out to my car and then I made an executive decision regarding dog food, and the timing of its purchase and decided that clearly that time for that purchase was now.

(In theory I do have access to a shower but do you really want to use the gymnasium showers at  a mental hospital? I don't know often the patients still use the gym but I really don't want to be the one to find out.)

I had a happy meal for lunch on the way back from Project Kibble, but it was very small and I sweated off about half of it reading in my car  after I got back to campus. Its like a sauna here. I'm surprised I'm not seeing more fat guys in towels lounging around street corners. There are Norwegians  with rocks and ladles just hanging around waiting for people to leave their cars untended in the sun. You come back and the interior of your car has been panelled! and its  full of discarded towels! And there are butt prints!

My glasses steam up when I water my plants!  You go outside and its like opening your dishwasher mid-cycle or going outdoors in Houston in August- Its that kind of  uncomfortable.  Alphagal and I are growing tomato plants like sequoias though, so at least somebody is enjoying all this. I mean really, like tomato plants 45 inches around! At the end of the season I'm going to have get a permit from the city to takes these monsters down. The weather is even helping raise the dead! My failed experimental pepper is getting a "C" out of nowhere! Its the extra hour of shade a day and the 300% humidity that turned it around I'm sure.

It didn't rain last night. Shocking. But I also didn't go outside this morning and find dead plants either so the soap mixture didn't harm anything - The leaves weren't magically whole again so maybe I put a little too much faith in it but nothing looked more chewed on so there is that. The site had another recipe for slug diversion but it required I water the plants with salt water and I believe that salt water is usually contraindicated with plants and if its so little salt that the plants don't mind I doubt sincerely its going to scare off the slugs and the last thing I want scatted across my deck are gangs of mildly irritated slugs looking for revenge. Perhaps they would like some beer?

No comments: