Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just Do It

I'm going on vacation soon. In a month soon. I decided to start getting ready. My first step was to become frantic. My second step was to become paralyzed with fear. Its' good to have a plan and my plan was to panic.

Panic is good. Panic forces action. Panic gets things done.

My first act was to decide that I should clean out one of my desk drawers. I carefully opened it and began to sift through the detritus. I have a lot of pens and many, many highlighters, two pairs of scissors, three white-out pens,. I also have thousands of paperclips and enough rubber bands to make my own Rubberband Man. I had just begun the careful excavation of the drawer when in an effort to grab something from the back of it I pulled it too far and it fell to the floor.  I had not planned to do such a complete job, I had thought to just cataloging  the top layer of grit and then, if I had to, move on to the more delicate task of evaluating whatever solids I found that needed to be added to the shredding or  sent on to be dumped on someone else's desk.

And then it was all all over the floor under my desk. I really didn't plan on spending anytime on my hands and knees under my desk, I wasn't dressed for it for one and I am not up on my shots. it is dark under my desk and I prefer to stay in the dark about whatever goes on under there while I am up above, in the light.

Thankfully, I did not run across any urban farms or wandering livestock and now my desk drawer is visitor ready. I wouldn't do it but my annual substitute has a have-a-question- go-to-the-boss-first policy and that can be problematic as I have a have-a-question-go-to-the-boss-never policy in place and I would like to maintain that and to do so I have to destroy the evidence tidy up before I leave. I have a month and three drawers that still open and I need to use my time wisely. Last year when I came back she told one of my desk drawers was fused shut, I would never have known,  but she apparently went spelunking while I was away and got thwarted. Good. She wanted to know how to get it open and I was like I would tell you.

But I have a month to plot thwarting  any excursions into Dianaland. My personal bubble is mined.

No comments: