Monday, October 14, 2013

R&R


I got up early Saturday morning and  went to a How To class on grow garlic and learned that as much as I really, really like garlic - I do not want to grow it. Its not that its hard to grow, but it takes too long to do so, seven months! And then there is a month of dancing attendance to it as it dries for a afterwards. I think I would rather just buy it at the store.

I am going to grow onions though, scallions actually. They grow in a reasonable time and they do well in containers. I was gifted a handful of what I now believe to be Guardsman scallions last spring and they were fabulous. I am also going to plant a variety called Shimonita. Its going to be fun. I haven't really made any concrete plans yet but for 2014 it looks like: Tomatoes, peppers, sunflowers, corn, potatoes, green beans, herbs and onions.

Rocket helped out in the garden this weekend. I am planning on tilling it up and adding some fertilizer to help it recover over the winter but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Rocket helped me by working on part of the it himself.


He did an outstanding job and went much deeper than I have patience to do with the big tiller.  I should be so focused on the task in front of me. I don't know what he was trying to find but he was really intent on getting to it.

 
He was very proud of himself.


Rocket worked on getting the backyard in shape, I concentrated on the front yard. I mowed it and trimmed the bejesus out of the shrubs. It looks much nicer than it did before and I am hoping I don't have to do it again for a while. I also was able to get up the first n dead leaves but by the end of the day they had been replaced. My composter is full and happy though.

And then I did nothing. I watched TV and then  did nothing made dinner and then did more nothing, a perfect Saturday. Sunday, I  slept late and went to noon mass and I came home and raked the carpets and recycled old magazines and did some household tidying. And then I rested some more and then I took Rocket to Dix and threw a stick for him and ran up and down hills.

And then I made dinner and took a shower and watched more TV. Excellent weekend.

No comments: